La Rotonda was conceived as a suburban residence in the form of a Palace/Temple, with pronaoi, columns, and a dome, a perfect example of the centrality of man in Almerico’s sixteenth-century Renaissance vision. Over time, it evolved into a villa with the agricultural functions typical of a Venetian rural estate (Palladio included La Rotonda among palaces rather than villas in his Four Books of Architecture). After Almerico’s death, the villa passed in 1589 to his natural son Virginio, who sold it only two years later to the brothers Odorico and Mario Capra. The Capra family, a lineage of Vicentine nobles, retained the suburban villa until the early nineteenth century. During the uprisings of 1848 and throughout the two World Wars, the villa suffered damage and was subsequently restored in several phases. It was purchased in 1912 by the Valmarana family, who remain its owners to this day.
Built between 1567 and 1569, the building is an abstraction, a reflection of a higher order and harmony. Oriented with its corners facing the four cardinal points, it embodies volume, cube, and sphere, recalling the fundamental forms of the Platonic universe. The Villa develops vertically across three levels: a service ground floor, the piano nobile at the level of the pronaoi, and an attic floor, originally open and used as a granary before later being partitioned. The interior decorations are rich and valuable, executed over time: the ceiling frescoes of the four corner rooms, the small chambers on the piano nobile, and the dome vault date from the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries (Alessandro Maganza), while the stucco work was initially created in the late sixteenth century. The central round hall was decorated with stuccoes and frescoes in the early eighteenth century during a decorative campaign commissioned for the marriage of Marzio and Cecilia Capra (Louis Dorigny). The exterior of the Villa is adorned with statues placed on the buttresses of the staircases, created before 1570 (Lorenzo Rubini). At the beginning of the seventeenth century, sculptures of male and female deities were added to the acroteria. The park is also remarkable, opening onto views of the cultivated countryside that surrounds it.